Moving Out of the 1071 Fifth Avenue Townhouse
1:46 | Published on October 7, 2013 | 242 Views
In 1943, Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned to design a permanent museum for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation. Selecting and obtaining a site for the museum was a priority, and in 1946 the Guggenheim Foundation purchased a townhouse at 1071 Fifth Avenue. In 1948, when construction for the new building was delayed, the foundation moved its museum, the Museum of Non-Objective Painting, into the townhouse. The museum was renamed the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in 1952 and continued to exhibit in the townhouse until 1956.
This edited film clip, circa 1956, shows the Guggenheim Museum moving out of the 1071 Fifth Avenue townhouse in preparation for construction of the Frank Lloyd Wright–designed Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. Ground was broken on August 14, 1956, and the museum opened on October 21, 1959.
Excerpt from “Guggenheim Museum Construction” [1956–1959]. Films on the construction of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. A0005. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Archives, New York