Robert E. Mates collection
Guggenheim, Harry Frank, 1890-.
Public buildings -- New York (N.Y.).
Rebay, Hilla, 1890-1967.
Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation.
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
Sweeney, James Johnson, 1900-1986.
Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959.
Robert E. Mates (REM) served as a long-time photographer for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (SRGM) through the tenure of two SRGM directors: Hilla von Rebay and James Johnson Sweeney. REM began his work in the SRGM Photographic department under the supervision of Hannes Beckman, the creator and first director of the SRGM Photographic department and was eventually promoted to the head of the department. While REM was working for the SRGM, he began his formal education in photography. He attended the Brooklyn Museum of Art School and the School of Modern Photography. REM's work has been exhibited throughout the United States and Great Britain, and he was a member of the photographic societies of both those countries. REM also worked as a freelancer in portraiture and architecture, and produced a motion picture for the Joseph H. Hirshhorn Foundation.
Scope and Content Note
The Robert E. Mates collection documents the history of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (SRGM), through the eyes of Robert E. Mates (REM). The content documented spans the years 1939-2004. This collection is primarily composed of unpublished manuscripts, created by REM, and includes three compact discs and accompanying texts. The compact discs contain a written history by REM regarding the Guggenheim family, SRGM directors and the newly constructed Frank Lloyd Wright museum building. The compact discs also include photographs of SRGM exhibitions, artists, and the museum building from ground breaking to the opening day. The photographs are in digital form as JPEG image files. Historical explanations are provided with the photographs. Of special interest is a reproduction of a booklet which includes record of the museum’s opening ceremonies on October 21, 1959. Included are the texts of the speeches at the dedication, introductory remarks made by Harry F. Guggenheim and photographs of guests
|000562||1||Booklet, Reproduction: The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 1959||1959/undated|
|"1948 to 1949 and a Bit Beyond"|
|000562||2-3||Compact Disc 1 and Print Copy (2 folders)||2007|
|000562||4-7||Compact Disc 2 and Print Copy (4 folders)||2007|
|000562||9||"Breaking Ground": Compact Disk and Print Copy||2008|
|000562||10||"The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum": Print Copy||2008|
|000513||1||Poster: The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, October 1959||2007|
|000513||2||Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Main Entrance and Upper Ramp||1971/2008|
|000513||2||Sculpture Guild Outdoor Exhibition||undated/2008|