Albert E. Thiele records
Construction + architecture--Inspections.
Construction + architecture--Museums.
Easton, Glen H.
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
Guggenheim, Harry F. 1890-1971.
Interior architecture--New York (State)--New York.
Lighting, Architectural and decorative.
Peters, William Wesley
Public buildings--New York (N.Y.).
Short, William H., 1924-1991.
Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation.
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
Taliesin Associated Architects.
Thiele, Albert E. 1892-1982.
Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959.
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
Prince, Harry M.
Sweeney, James Johnson, 1900-1986.
Albert Edward Thiele (AET) (1892-1982) was born in December, 1882, in Brooklyn, New York. The son of Albert Head and Tillie Thiele, insurance workers, AET was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from the School of Commerce at New York University, from which he received the Madden Memorial Award. AET joined the Guggenheim Brothers in 1909, later became a business partner, and was involved in mining investment and exploration. Over the course of his career, AET served as Chairman of the Pacific Tin Consolidated Corporation, and as the Director of the Kennecott Copper Corporation, the Barber Oil Corporation and the Anglo Lautaro Nitrate Corporation. He was named a Life Trustee of New York University.
AET married Alice K., and together they had one child, Roger H. Thiele.
AET was the longest-serving member of the Board of Trustees of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (SRGF), serving from 1937 until his death in 1982. AET served as Vice President of the Foundation from 1940-(1968?), serving concurrently as Treasurer from 1937-1950. As a member of the Executive and Finance Committee, AET was responsible for many of the business functions and activities of the Foundation. AET worked closely with the SRGF Presidents Solomon R. Guggenheim; Arthur Stuart, Earl of Castle Stuart; Harry F. Guggenheim; and Peter Lawson-Johnston. During his tenure on the Board of Trustees, he worked under the directorships of Hilla Rebay, James Johnson Sweeney and Thomas M. Messer. AET was involved in almost all aspects of the planning and construction of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Annex and was influential in shaping its institutional and administrative structure.
AET died in his home in Scarsdale, N.Y. on December 22, 1982.
Scope and Content Note
The Albert E. Thiele records span the years 1937-1983 and mostly document the construction of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (SRGM) and its Annex (SRGMA) in New York. The collection includes: correspondence; architectural drawings; personal notes; promotional brochures; photographs; detailed construction reports; financial documents; legal documents; press clippings; and magazine proofs. This collection provides thorough documentation of administrative, financial, and legal information relating to the construction of the SRGM and the SRGMA. The collection is arranged in two series. Series 1. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Main Building records contain information regarding the SRGM, from its earliest design stage through construction and the first few years of operation. The bulk of the collection is comprised of correspondence between Frank Lloyd Wright and Guggenheim officials and their struggle over the construction on personal, financial and legal grounds. Other highlights of the collection include architectural drawings of the SRGM, early documentation and photographs pertaining to the museum site, and a 1966 organization manual and chart for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation. Series 2. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Annex collection covers all of the administrative aspects of the Annex project, most importantly the correspondence between Guggenheim officials, Taliesin Associated Architects, and Euclid Contracting Corporation. The SGRMA files also contain detailed material bills and other bills for the construction project, legal contracts, certificates, guarantees, permits, change orders, insurance, and building violation citations. Also included are contractor bids, papers that relate to the construction of specific projects, and different versions of project specifications with handwritten notes.
|709677||Air Conditioning: Henry Bellsmith: Correspondence||1957|
|709677||Art Conservation Department||1959|
|709677||Auditorium: Sound System (2 folders)||1958-1960|
|709677||Bill of Sales and Insurance Binder for Cooling Tower and Finishing Hardware||1957|
|709677||Bronze: Handrails and Signage||1957-1959|
|709677||Certificate of Occupancy||1959-1960|
|709677||Changes and Additions: Requests From James Johnson Sweeney and Staff||1957-1958|
|709677||Contractors: Bids, Estimates of Costs (2 folders)||1952-1957|
|General (8 folders)||1957-1961|
|709677||Brown, Hunt: 1071 Property Line Neighbor||1957|
|709677||Moses, Robert: Between Robert Moses, Frank Lloyd Wright, Harry F. Guggenheim||1953-1958|
|709677||Sculpture Garden Area||1958|
|709677||Short, William H. (2 folders)||1956-1964|
|709677||Shriver, Robert (Ambassador to France)||1968|
|709677||Engineer (Dr. J. Feld): Bills||1956-1957|
|709677||Estimated Costs of Museum Construction||1957-1959|
|Euclid Contacting Construction|
|709677||Contract Changes and Additions (3 folders)||1956-1959|
|709677||Contract and Contract Payment (2 folders)||1955-1960|
|Contracting Payments and Correspondence (4 folders)||1956-1960|
|691578||Exterior Coating: Cocoon||1957-1960|
|691578||Fassler and Froelich Payments||1958-1960|
|691578||Fifth Avenue Property: Correspondence, Contracts, Photographs of Vacant Lot||1944-1956|
|691578||Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation: Agreement and Fees (Restricted)||1951-1959|
|691578||Garage Accommodations||1957, 1959|
|691578||Holden, Arthur C.||1954|
|691578||Interior: Furniture, Furnishings and Interior Decorations (2 folders)||1952-1960|
|691578||Landscape: Correspondence, Plant List, Plans (2 folders)||1958-1965|
|691578||Building and Landscape (3 folders)||1958-1964|
|691578||Employees and Operating Costs (2 folders)||1952-1961|
|691578||Moving to The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum||1958-1963|
|691578||Museum Committee Meeting Minutes (Restricted)||1937-1939, 1958-1959|
|691578||Name of the New Museum and Auditorium||1952-1957|
|691578||New York City Board of Appeals (2 folders)||1950-1958|
|691724||Organization of Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation: Manual and Chart||1963-1966|
|691724||Place of Assembly Permit||1953-1955|
|691724||Pre-Construction Correspondence and Pamphlet||n.d., 1950-1951|
|691724||Specifications, Plans, Contracts: Correspondence (2 folders)||1951-1957|
|691724||Stamp: Frank Lloyd Wright 2 Cents Issued 6/2/1966||1966|
|691724||Stone, Edward: Architect||1959|
|691724||Storage Racks: Artwork||1958-1959|
|691724||Telephone and Buzzer Systems||1958-1959|
|691724||Test Borings||1945, 1955|
|691724||Specifications: Archeseum for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation Memorial||1955|
|691724||Subpoena: Building Violations||1956-1958|
|691724||Survey of Fifth Avenue Property||1956|
|692053||General (5 folders)||1963-1967|
|692053||Agreements and Fees (2 folders)||1963-1965|
|692053||Daily Inspection (2 folders)||1966-1968|
|692053||Material Bills (4 folders)||1966-1968|
|691360||Monthly Reports From Architect (2 folders)||1966-1968|
|692053||Agreements and Fees: Originals and Copies (3 folders, Restricted)||1964-1971|
|Building Violations (2 folders)||1964-1967|
|692053||Certificate of Occupancy||1968|
|City Planning Commission (3 folders)||1963-1967|
|100574||Annex Building Contract||1966|
|Bid Letters (2 folders)||1966|
|100574||Builders (2 folders)||1966-1967|
|100574||Freed, Donald E.||1973-1975|
|3||Department of Buildings||1963-1967|
|100574||Builders' Risk (Restricted)||1966-1968|
|100574||Fire Damage (Restricted)||1967-1970|
|100574||General (2 folders)||1963-1966|
|100574||Conforti and Eisle||1966|
|100574||Nadal and Lansing||1966|
|691360||Kuhn, Smith and Harris||1966|
|100574||Aye Simons Reading Room||1978|
|100574||Bookstore and Restaurant||1973-1975|
|Cafeteria (2 folders)||1963|
|100574||Four East 89th Street||1966-1967|
|Tea Room (2 folders)||1965-1968|
|Specifications for Alterations and Additions|
|100574||General (3 folders)||1964-1973|
|100574||Addendum 1, 2 and 3||1966|