Solomon R. Guggenheim Founding Collection
Solomon R. Guggenheim (1861–1949), with the guidance of the German
artist Hilla Rebay (1890–1967), was a champion of a particular strand
of abstraction known as nonobjective art, which attempted to sever ties
to the observable world and aspired to spiritual and utopian goals.
Beginning in 1929, Solomon built a collection that eventually included
over one hundred fifty works by Vasily Kandinsky, whose oeuvre
epitomized this tendency, as well as paintings by such notable
exponents as Rudolf Bauer, Robert Delaunay, László Moholy-Nagy, and
Rebay herself. At the same time, Solomon actively sought work that did
not fit the mold of nonobjectivity, including paintings by Marc
Chagall, Albert Gleizes, Fernand Léger, Franz Marc, Amedeo Modigliani,Pablo Picasso, and Henri Rousseau.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum holds approximately six hundred artworks that were gifted to the museum by Solomon Guggenheim between 1937 (the year of the formation of the foundation) and 1949, or purchased by the foundation during those years. These works form the core of the Guggenheim’s holdings, with such masterpieces as Franz Marc’s Yellow Cow, which the artist purportedly called his “standard” (Standardwerk) for its ability to evoke spiritual awakening through color theory, and Kandinsky’s Composition 8, among the first paintings Solomon purchased for his art collection following his visit to Kandinsky’s studio in 1929. In 2007, to formally honor Solomon’s legacy, and in celebration of the 70th anniversary of the creation of the foundation, the Guggenheim assigned a special credit line to these works, designating them as part of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Founding Collection.
Back to Major Acquisition Sort