Saadiyat Cultural District
Read about the museum's mission and development.
NEW YORK. VENICE.
BILBAO. ABU DHABI.
Learn more about the global Guggenheim network.
An entire district on Saadiyat Island will be devoted to culture and the arts. Unprecedented in scale and scope, Saadiyat Cultural District will be a center for global culture, drawing local, regional, and international visitors with unique exhibitions, permanent collections, productions, and performances. Its iconic institutions will be housed in buildings constituting a statement of the finest architecture at the beginning of the 21st century.
The key institutions are
- Zayed National Museum, the national museum of the United Arab Emirates, telling the story of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, his unification of the UAE, the history of the region and its cultural connections across the world
- Louvre Abu Dhabi, a museum designed to house the aesthetic expressions of different civilizations and cultures, from the most ancient to the most contemporary
- Guggenheim Abu Dhabi, a transnational platform for global contemporary art and culture that will present the most important artistic achievements of our time
- Performing Arts Center, a vibrant home for all forms of artistic performance, set within the futuristic contours of Zaha Hadid’s organic design
- Maritime Museum, a museum that will celebrate Abu Dhabi’s maritime heritage and explore Emiratis’ long relationship with the sea